Review of Cost of Overtime Allowance and Travelling Allowance to Railway Servants
Measures to reduce cost and improve savings – Review of cost of Over Time Allowance (OTA) and Travelling Allowance (TA)
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
New Delhi, dated: 28.08.2020
The General Managers
All Zonal Railways
Sub: Measures to reduce cost and improve savings – Review of cost of Over Time Allowance (OTA) and Travelling Allowance (TA).
Ref: Railway Board’s letter No. 2015-B-235 dated 19.06.2020.
With the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic, the budgeted earning target of the current year i.e. 2019-20 has been adversely affected. In view of this, the above referred instructions have been issued by the Board to adopt various economy, austerity and cost control measures so that liabilities are met within available funds.
2. Payment of OTA to Railway Servants governed by Para 10 of the Railway Servants (Hours of Work & Period of Rest) Rules, 2005 and Travelling Allowance is one of the steps to control expenditure and thus, a decision has been taken in a Board meeting held on 29.6.2020 that the cases of OTA and TA should be critically reviewed by the General Managers and a ceiling of 50% be imposed on payment of OTA and TA. A copy of Item No. 4 of the Minutes of the Board Meeting held on 29.06.2020 to discuss “Measures to reduce cost and improve saving” is enclosed for ready reference.
3. It may also be kept in mind that deferment of bills/payment is not expenditure control and maximum utilization of existing manpower within the stipulated working hours should be ensured.
4. It has been desired by the Board that the cases of payment of OTA and TA should be monitored closely by PCPOs and PFAs of the Zonal Railways.
5. Please acknowledge receipt.
DA: as above
Enclosure to Board’s letter No. 2020/E(LL)/OTA/1 dated 28.08.2020
Item No. 4 of the Minutes of the Board Meeting held on 29.06.2020 to discuss “Measures to reduce cost and improve saving”:
“Item No. 4: Impose 50% Ceiling on Over Time (Rs. 1300 Cr) and Travelling Allowance (Rs. 2300). There are other allowances which need to be reviewed by Zonal Railways and controlled. Broadly, such semi-variable allowances would be in the range of Rs. 13000 Cr. per annum.
Board’s decision: GMs to critically review and impose 50% Ceiling on booking of Over Time and Travelling Allowance.”
- Review of Overtime Allowance and Travelling Allowance to Railway Servants September 8, 2020 Read more…
- Promotion of Non-gazetted Group C staff to Non-Selection posts – Railway Borad Circular No.37 November 15, 2019 Read more…
- Railway Pass Rules 2019 – Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto Express Type Trains November 5, 2019 Read more…
- Dearness Allowance to Railway employees – Revised Rates effective from 01.07.2019 October 16, 2019 Read more…
- RAIL VIKAS NIGAM LIMITED (RVNL)-RECRUITMENT AND PROMOTION RULES-2010 October 10, 2019 Read more…
- Staff Benefit Fund (SBF) – Master Circular Updation On 30th Sep 2019 October 10, 2019 Read more…
- Post Retirement Complimentary Pass (PRCP) facility – Indian Railway New Rules October 8, 2019 Read more…
- One way is to send own request transfer application to other Divisions / Railways September 26, 2019 Read more…
- Irregular retention in service beyond the age of superannuation September 16, 2019 Read more…
- Enhancing the honorarium paid to Arbitrator from Rs 500/- per day to Rs 1000/- per day and from Rs 250/- per half day to Rs 500/- per half day September 9, 2019 Read more…